This Milwaukee history museum displays the late Avrum Chudnow’s (1913-2005) extensive and eclectic collection of early 20th Century Americana.
The building which sits at 839 North 11th Street in Milwaukee was built in 1869 as a single family residence for Daniel Schultz and his family. The style is a common Milwaukee Italianate building utilizing the area’s famous cream city brick. Albert Seeboth later became the owner and remodeled the building in 1906 by adding a front porch, a 3rd floor and changing the overall look to a German Revival style. The Seeboth family moved out in 1922 citing the changing neighborhood as a major reason. This older part of Milwaukee was very dense with many apartments and large, older dwellings converted into boarding houses. During the ’20s and ’30s the building was a doctor’s clinic and home of Dr. Joseph J. Eisenberg. In 1966, Avrum Chudnow bought the house to serve as his offices for his law practice and property management company. Mr. Chudnow inherited a fascination of artifacts from his father, who was a junk and scrap peddler. He graduated with a law degree from Marquette Law School in 1937 and worked a variety of different odd jobs before joining the U.S. Army to serve in World War II. As Mr. Chudnow’s collection expanded, he began to display pieces in his office. In 2012, his former offices opened as a museum for the public. Being mainly set up for hands free and minimal staff, the Chudnow Museum of Yesteryear was the first to open when the city/state allowed. We are now open Thursday-Saturday 10am – 4pm and Sunday noon – 4pm. However, we get no support from government organizations and may not be able to operate much longer under the current economic climate.