Tour this beautiful 1928 Mediterranean Revival building.
3841 W Wisconsin Ave
10 am - 5 pm
Photography, Video, Tripods Permitted
1st floor only
The Drott Tractor Company Showroom and Manufacturing Building is a large commercial and industrial building initially constructed in 1928 and designed by the firm of Martin Tullgren & Sons. It is comprised of three connected buildings that rest on an exposed basement clad in brick and concrete block and constructed into the Menomonee Valley Bluff. Additions were added in 1937 and 1948.
The main building (the showroom) is a two-story, Mediterranean Revival building that is clad in several different colors of terracotta. It has a rectangular plan and a flat roof. A decorative red terracotta [parapet runs along the roofline. Below the roofline and above the second-story windows is a repeating carved band of circles flanked by feathers. The main entrance is centered on the front (north) faÃ§ade and has an elaborate arched door surround.
The Wisconsin Regional Training Partnership/Building Industry Group Skilled Trades Employment Program (WRTP/Big Step) has made its home here since 2006. It is a non-profit, 501(c)3, industry intermediary that is devoted to family-sustaining jobs in the Milwaukee region. The mission of WRTP/Big Step is to enhance the ability of private sector organizations to recruit and develop a more diverse qualified workforce in construction, manufacturing and related sectors of the regional economy.
Wearing its current non-profit outfit, the building use mirrors very much its original design as a small manufacturing concern. The front room which was used to display and sell tractors, is now our open door to any Milwaukeean who believes they can benefit from our services. The upper floor houses administrative offices, very much like it did in the early 20th century. Reflecting its manufacturing roots, the lower level has docking bays, space for assembly and manufacturing as well as hands on space for training.