Doors Open Milwaukee is back in person this year! The program will offer tours at sites throughout Milwaukee on Sept 25 and 26 and we are seeking volunteers!
Doors Open will offer the following ways for the public to tour sites:
- In person, open house style like a typical Doors Open
- In person, with tickets required
- Virtual - online photos, videos and 360VR
- Greet visitors at a building site entrance and briefly tell them what to expect at that particular site
- Track visitor attendance with a clicker
- Work with buildings owners and managers to ensure that visitors follow any necessary building requirements
- For ticketed tour sites: Check attendee tickets and/or registration list
- Enforce mask wearing for indoor locations and any additional COVID protocol required by the site (some sites will continue to require mask wearing)
- Solicit donations to maintain Doors Open as a FREE event
Special announcement for 2021 Doors Open
Please note that many locations will still not be open to the public this year because of the pandemic. This will be a smaller Doors Open than pre-pandemic times. With this uncertainty, we ask for your patience as we approach the event and assign volunteer shifts.
Volunteer orientation will be held virtually this year on August 24 at 6 pm and August 25 at 12 pm. We would ask all volunteers to plan on attending one of the sessions. We will record the sessions for those who are unable to attend.
How long is a volunteer shift?
Up to 4 hours
Can I sign up for multiple shifts?
Can I specify where I want to volunteer?
We ask that volunteers remain flexible and open to any location. If you have geographic limitations due to transportation, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
Can I volunteer with a group of friends?
Most sites only require 1 to 2 volunteers. However we will do our best to accommodate in instances of car pooling.
Do I have to wear a mask when I volunteer?
Yes, based on guidance from the CDC and Milwaukee Health Department, due to the increase in COVID cases, all volunteers and attendees will be asked to wear masks at all indoor Doors Open locations.
How old do I have to be to volunteer?
16+. Kids under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
How will I know where I am assigned?
Assignments will be made in late August. InitLive - the software you registered through - will notify you of your shift location and time.
Why Volunteer? The opportunity to meet other architecture and history enthusiasts!
- Volunteer badge to cut to the front of line at any participating weekend sites (excluding ticketed tour sites).
- 50% off membership to Historic Milwaukee for new members
- 10% off at the Historic Milwaukee Gift Shop (expires October 31)
- 10% off Doors Open merch