Tickets for this tour will only be available beginning September 13, 2021 at 10 am.
Visit and tour this 1926 facility, designated a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in 1974. Capable of treating more than 300 million gallons a day, the facility is owned and governed by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District (MMSD) and operated and maintained by Veolia Water Milwaukee.
Visitors will learn about the history of Jones Island, the water reclamation process, MMSD programs, the making of Milorganite®, and Veolia North America. And kids won’t want to miss the “workhorses of wastewater,” collecting a set of “bug” cards, and getting up close and personal with the big truck! Visitors will receive a free 5lb. bag of Milorganite® upon their exit, while supplies last. Learn more about the site here.
Please note that you are signing up for a 90 minute window of time in which to visit the Jones Island Water Reclamation Facility. Each reservation guarantees you access to the facility only. Reservations are NOT for a particular tour as both tour types are offered first come first served approximately every 15-20 minutes. You may arrive at any time within your 90 minute reservation, but we ask that you please plan to depart when your reservation time expires.
Participants must adhere to the 90 minute window, but once on site are invited to partake in all of the activities that are available. Please note that all visitors will be required to wear face coverings.
Visitors may participate in one or both of the tours:
1) Driving Bus tour of the campus- Participants will travel around the entire Jones Island facility to learn about the water reclamation process and how Milorganite® is made. Duration- 25 minutes
2) Walking Hard Hat Tour of the Milorganite® Facility- Participants will get a chance to walk through the Dewatering and Drying Facility where Milorganite® is made. Duration- 20 minutes. All participants must wear long pants and closed-toe shoes and be able to descend 75 steps on their own. Hard hats and safety glasses will be provided. Children must meet the safety attire guidelines, be able to walk and climb stairs without assistance, and fit into a conventional hard hat and safety glasses without either falling off of their head. No exceptions.
- Educational exhibits
- Peregrine Falcon Spotting
For the Kids:
- Explore the Big Trucks
- Learn about the Workhorses of Wastewater
- Collect all 9 “good bug” cards
- Visit the giant coloring wall
Thanks to Veolia for supporting Doors Open as a sponsor!
Tickets guarantee you a 90 minute window of time to visit the plant. Available time slots: 9-10:30 am, 10-11:30 am, 11 am-12:30 pm, 12-1:30 pm, 1-2:30 pm, 2-3:30 pm, 3-4:30 pm
Tickets are to reserve a 90 minute window of time to visit the campus
100 people per 90 minute time slot
Reservations required to enter the campus, but once on site, visitors may participate in one or both of the tours (first come first serve for tours), and visit all of the other available attractions. Photography and filming permitted. The campus is not handicapped accessible and the hard hat tour is not appropriate for individuals with sensitivity to noise.
Masks required for all individuals.