November 12 @ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Founded in 1903 by Oscar Werwath, the School of Engineering of Milwaukee (now the Milwaukee School of Engineering) has emphasized educating students and the wider community about the newest scientific and technological advances. Close partnerships with local businesses helped determine the most useful practical skills for young engineers to have, and the school was comprised of four distinct institutes in its early days: the College of Electrical Engineering, the Institute of Electro-Technics, the School of Practical Electricity, and the School of Automotive Electricity. As the skills necessary for success in the workforce evolved, the school remained focused on innovation, offering degrees in areas such as welding, mechanical engineering, nursing, business, computer engineering, and many more. In recent years, the school has continued to remain at the forefront of modern developments while still placing emphasis on the success of the individual student in a changing world.
Denise Gergetz and Lindsay Bastian work at the Milwaukee School of Engineering’s Walter Schroeder Library and have conducted extensive research in the archives. Reproduced here is a wide swath of photographs and archival materials that best illustrate the school’s dedication to innovation over the course of more than a century.
$5 – 10