Cudahy Snapshots of Commerce
Cudahy’s commerce began with Patrick Cudahy, an Irish immigrant who started a meatpacking business in 1892. He invited other industrialists to follow him to the farmlands southeast of Milwaukee, and soon nationally known companies like Ladish, Federal Rubber, and George Meyer opened factories in the new city. Smaller businesses like Adamczyk’s Meat Market, Dretzka’s Department Store, Pinter’s Inn, and Sullivan’s Cigar Shop thrived amidst a growing population. With the gradual loss of heavy industry after World War II and the rise of retail box stores, Cudahy has strived to attract commercial and light manufacturing companies like the Gift Shoppe, Milwaukee Cylinder, National Tissue, and Angelic Bakehouse. Cudahy started as—and continues to be—a small town with big opportunities.