What you will see:
Take a self-guided tour of the park!
In the late 19th century, Yankee Hill included an undeveloped parcel east of Prospect Avenue that was used as a park. In 1870, the city hired prominent landscape architect Horace Cleveland to formalize the park’s layout and features, implementing his recommendations during the next decade. At this point, the park was largely tree-less, including the bluff itself which was navigated by paved paths and stairways and for a brief time extended to the lake. Beginning in 1923, work began on Lincoln Memorial Drive. Juneau Park initially benefitted from this and annexed 100 yards or so of land east of the Drive which was later given to Veteran’s Park. In the 1960’s the lakefront tracks were removed and a portion of land was added onto Juneau Park as part of the Oak Leaf Trail, and an additional section atop the bluff was added that extended the park north to Knapp Street.
Featured photos from: WI Historical Society, UWM Digital Collections, Milwaukee Public Museum