Historic Milwaukee is soliciting new volunteer guides for the 2022 season. We are specifically seeking tour guides for student tour for 3rd/4th graders or step-on bus guides, in addition to our regular walking tours. Training will be geared to those specific tours.
If you have an interest in history, architecture, or Milwaukee, please consider applying for our training program. Formal education is not required but applicants should be self-motivated with a desire to learn. Tour guides are volunteers and do not receive compensation from Historic Milwaukee for hours donated.
New Guides Must:
- Complete HMI’s guide training program
- Commit to giving 3 tours in the 2022 season
- Renew or become a member of Historic Milwaukee
- Be available on weekdays or weekends to give tours (schedule will determine the tour you learn)
- Be able to lead walking tours at a reasonable pace for 1.5-2 hours (not applicable to Step-On Guides)
- Have home internet access
- Know how to use a word processor, email and search the internet to conduct research
- Submit to a background check
- Show proof of COVID vaccination
Guide Training Schedule:
Dates will be provided in early 2022, training will begin in March 2022. Attendance at all of the sessions is highly recommended but we understand emergencies and illness can occur. Absences will be handled on a case by case basis. Zoom lectures will be recorded.
- Intro Meeting
- Milwaukee's History with John Gurda
- Architecture I & II
- Conversations on Race with YWCA
Everyone will begin guided tour training as a group and then will split off into the particular tour type.
- General Tour Practice
- Student Tour Practice
- Step-On Guide Tour Practice
Questions? Please call our office, 414-277-7795 or email [email protected]