Since 1974, HMI has worked to increase awareness and commitment to Milwaukee’s history, architecture, and the preservation of the built environment through tours and educational programs. Our signature events include Remarkable Milwaukee in February; Spaces & Traces in May and Doors Open in September.
We’re hiring…an accounting intern!
Historic Milwaukee, Inc. is seeking an accounting intern to assist with regular accounting functions. This is a great opportunity for an accounting student to gain hands-on experience at a nonprofit.
We are seeking an intern to work approximately 8 hours per week; ideally two four-hour shifts. We are flexible and can fit you in between your class schedule. All work would be undertaken at our office, 235 E. Michigan Street, during weekday business hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. We are conveniently located near bus routes and the new Hop street car route.
How to apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and use the subject line “Accounting Intern”.
About us: HMI was started in 1974 and is the only nonprofit to offer daily and weekly walking tours in Milwaukee. We also stage the annual May Spaces & Traces tour and the September Doors Open event. Our mission is to promote and educate people about Milwaukee’s architecture, history and the built environment. We are a fun staff of three full time employees that work in the historic Mackie building.
Pay: This internship will pay $10 per hour. Academic credit is available if applicable. The ability to volunteer in other capacities is also available. HMI uses more than 1,000 volunteers a year to help stage our tours and special events.
Supervision: This position would report to HMI’s Executive Director and also interface with our part time Certified Public Accountant.
- Accounting major at a four year university
- At least sophomore standing for Fall 2018 semester
- Familiarity with both Excel and QuickBooks.
- Must be professional, have attention to detail and self-directed.
Daily/weekly accounting tasks will include:
- Code all payable invoices using chart of accounts and attach backup documentation
- Enter all payable invoices into QuickBooks.
- Run weekly bill aging from QuickBooks
- Write out checks for Executive Director to sign and approve
- Mail checks and file backup paperwork
- Enter daily cash deposits into QuickBooks
- Enter daily EFT deposits from various sources (Square, Stripe, Peek) into QuickBooks
- Run reports for Executive Director and Accountant as requested
Other tasks may include:
- Assist customers at Square Point of Sale checkout
- Assist tour-goers with rebooking/refunds
- Contact merchandise vendors for reorders
- Assist with inventory count and management
- Assist at Doors Open Sept. 22-23 as needed
- General office tasks