Grace Lutheran Church was established in 1849 and was the third Lutheran congregation founded in Milwaukee, and the first on the East side of the Milwaukee River.
Grace became a founding church in the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod and it’s first pastor, Johannes Muehlhaeuser, also served as the church body’s first president. It’s first building was built the next year, 1850, on the corner of Broadway and Juneau and served the congregation for the next 50 years. The existing building was built in 1900 and has served the congregation for that last 120 years. The existing church building was built in a Neo-Gothic style. The architect was Henry Koch. Rather that using the Cream City Brick that was common for other construction at the time, it’s orange-yellow colored brick was transported in from Minnesota. Grace employs an ornamental terra cotta style, especially in the frames of it’s stained glass windows, entryways and spires.
While Grace Church is sad to not be able to invite the public inside the beautiful and historic sanctuary this year, the public is invited to the property on the corner of Broadway and Juneau on Milwaukee’s East Side to see the exterior up close, including the ornate entryway, bell tower, and beautiful stained glass window. Note the stained glass window facing Juneau Avenue featuring an depiction of Jesus caring for children.
For any comments or questions, reach out via email: [email protected].
Worship services are held every Sunday at 7:45 am, 9 am, and 10:30 am, and Monday night worship service at 6:30 pm.
Learn more about the church on the “Most Certainly True” Series.