Enter the 1950s-era brick building to find three original Allis-Chalmers 20-million-gallon centrifugal pumps and giant transmission pipes, and the old scale used to weigh chlorine.
The chlorine disinfected water in the Kilbourn Reservoir, which was open to the air until 1979 when it was covered with tennis courts. Visitors will find displays of historic photos about the 145-year-old Milwaukee Water Works. Demand for water began a steady decline in the 1970s. The station was decommissioned in 2004, the water reservoir removed, and a hill in the park was built in its place.
Thanks to a post-World War II building boom, there was demand for more water than could be supplied by the North Point and Kilbourn Park Bypass Pumping Stations. Add the demand for large quantities of water from major breweries, tanneries, and heavy industry. To provide more pressure, the booster station was built west of the Kilbourn Park Reservoir and placed in service May 1, 1957. The reservoir stored water to supply the three pumps in the building until 2004, when the pumps were no longer needed to supply demand for water
626 E North Ave
10 am - 5 pm
Photography, Video, Tripods Permitted
1st floor only