In December 2018, Janelle Meyer-Brown, owner of event, event planning company, purchased Milwaukee Fire Department’s Fire House No. 35 and has renovated the firehouse into a very special event venue.
From 1926, the city erected five firehouses that Malig designed to nestle snugly into their mostly residential neighborhoods. Malig riffed on the popular bungalow house design to create these unified designs – with variations – that have come to be called bungalow firehouses.
Fortunately, all five of the stations survive, though only one remains active as a firehouse. Three of the five have been designated as historical landmarks.
“These fire houses were built within a relatively brief time span and although called ‘bungalow style fire houses’ at the time of their construction due to their low residential profile, they feature details that we would call Colonial Revival or Georgian Revival today,” noted the landmark nomination report prepared by the city.
The houses are all one- or one-and-a-half-story structures with tan or gold brick exteriors bolstered by corner quoins. They all have hose-drying towers (though in varying locations) in the back and they all have their dormitories and offices on the main floor, instead of upstairs as in older firehouses.
While 22 was under construction, work began on Engine 35’s quarters at 407 N. Hawley Rd., which is quite similar to the examples on 30th Street and on Oklahoma Avenue.
In the early years of the 21st century, a new station was built around the corner and Enterprise Art Glass, whose owner Andy Paremski is an enthusiast of these structures, moved in.